What’s The Best Dog Food for Yorkies? Our Favorite Picks
- # 1 – Wellness CORE Small Breed Dog Food
- # 2 – Blue Buffalo Small Breed Chicken & Rice
- # 3 – Taste of the Wild Hi-Prairie Canine Formula
- # 4 – Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food
- # 5 – Diamond Naturals Dry Food For Adult Dogs
- # 6 – Nutro Ultra Small Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food
- # 7 – Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Dog Food
- # 8 – Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Small Breed Formula
- # 9 – Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food
- # 10 – Orijen Regional Red Dog Food
- # 11 – Eukanuba Breed Specific Yorkshire Terrier Dog Food
- The Best Dog Food For Yorkie Puppies
- Yorkie Nutrition Tips & Advice
Finding the best dog food for a Yorkshire Terrier is certainly very important for keeping them strong and healthy – especially considering the complex nutritional needs that the Yorkie breed can have.
Yorkies can be prone to certain health conditions such as Hypoglycemia, which can be influenced by their food intake. What’s more, it’s vital to ensure your dog has all of the vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats that are required in order to keep their coats in tip-top shape.
In this guide, you’ll find a selection of our favorite dog foods, all of which are perfectly suited for Yorkies, and in many cases, they’re great choices for other small breeds of dog, too.
Here’s another excellent small breed dog food formula from the same company as before, which comes without any grain – making it ideal for keeping your dog’s weight down or helping them stay healthy if they have a digestive intolerance for grain.
This formula is fantastic for most small breeds of dog, thanks to the smaller kibble size which is nice and comfortable for a smaller mouth to eat, and the high-quality ingredients mean your Yorkie is sure to love it. Of course, this also means that there are no low-grade filler or meat by-products that could upset a Yorkie’s sensitive stomach, too.
Interestingly, several user reviews comment that their Yorkie loves this food, and in some cases, it’s managed to restore a sensitive Yorkie to better digestive health.
To begin with, we have this fantastic small breed dog food recipe by Blue Buffalo.
Firstly, this formula comes with added vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants in the form of ‘LifeSource Bits’ – which ensure your dog gets all the vital nutrition they need as a smaller breed.
Additionally, this formula relies entirely on natural ingredients, without the addition of preservatives or poultry by-products. As such, this is a healthy formula that shouldn’t upset your Yorkie’s digestive system.
The carbohydrates come in the form of healthy whole grains such as oats, barley, and brown rice, with the additional use of carrots, sweet potatoes, and garlic to make sure your dog gets plenty of rich nutrients.
Overall, this is a solid and reliable formula that’s also very affordable, making it a good option for most Yorkies, as well as an owner who’s on a tight budget.
If you’ve been searching around for different brands of dog food, then you’ve undoubtedly come across Taste of the Wild, as they’re one of the most famous brands available these days.
The ingredients are excellent quality, with the bulk of the protein coming from real roasted meats, which is then supplemented with vegetables and fruit.
There are also additional antioxidants used in the formula to protect your dog’s immune system and maintain a healthy coat.
What’s more, the formula comes in several flavors, so you should be able to work out which one is your Yorkie’s favorite, even if they’re a fussy eater.
Our next pick is this limited ingredient dog food formula made by Natural Balance. It costs a little more than some of the others, but it’s designed with only the best quality ingredients – which is particularly useful when it comes to overcoming stomach sensitivity and digestive issues that some Yorkies may have.
As you would expect, the formula is entirely free of grains, and it generally aims to keep the ingredient number as low as possible.
The primary ingredients include sweet potatoes which give plenty of energy, and potassium – as well as chicken, which provides a host of valuable amino acids to keep your dog strong and healthy. There’s also salmon oil, which gives your dog the essential fatty acids they need to keep their skin and coat shiny and healthy.
Finally, there’s no artificial flavorings or colors used in this formula, making it the ideal natural choice.
Next, we have another great option in the form of Diamond’s Natural Dry Dog Food that’s specifically formulated for smaller breeds.
Of course, this means that it features smaller kibble that a small breed shouldn’t struggle with, and it also promises to help keep their teeth cleaner along with reducing the development of plaque.
The formulation uses 27% protein and 16% fat, which is a respectable ratio that should be fine for most Yorkies. Additionally, it features added superfoods, antioxidants, and naturally occurring microorganisms to give your dog everything they need to stay strong and healthy.
Many dog owners cite how their small breed dogs quickly fall in love with the formula, so it’s certainly a good, affordable choice for many.
Here’s another excellent option for small breeds that also manages to fit into a tighter budget, while still giving your dog plenty of natural, healthy ingredients within the well-balanced formula.
It uses lean animal proteins from chicken, lamb, and salmon while also providing additional amino acids to give a well-structured nutritional profile that’ll go a long way towards supporting lean, strong muscles and healthy body weight.
There are also antioxidants to boost your dog’s immune system, as well as healthy oils from sunflower oil and flaxseed, which provides the essential fatty acids that’ll keep your dog’s coat soft and shiny – which is always vital for any Yorkshire Terrier.
The Wellness Complete range of natural dry dog food isn’t the cheapest option around, but it certainly aims to make up for the increased cost by offering exceptional quality.
The protein is provided in the form of turkey, chicken, and salmon – all of which is thoroughly deboned first. The main source of carbohydrate is ground brown rice, and there’s additional pea fiber which helps to keep your dog feeling full.
What’s more, this food uses L-Carnitine which can help your dog burn a higher amount of fat for energy, which can obviously help with weight loss – or at least keep your dog within a healthier range.
Lastly, the product includes glucosamine and chondroitin to support joints, making it ideal for older dogs, too.
Here’s a great formula from Purina Pro Plan which specifically focuses on providing a well-balanced formula that won’t upset a dog who has a sensitive stomach or troublesome skin condition.
It features plenty of high-quality ingredients that a Yorkie will benefit from – such as omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, both of which can help to nourish and support a healthy coat.
Additionally, there’s no use of soy, corn, or wheat – which is always great news for a Yorkie, particularly if they suffer from digestive sensitivity.
In general, this brand gives you a reliable go-to source of quality food that works well for those sensitive dogs who can be triggered by standard food.
Hill’s Science Diet produces an excellent small & toy breed formula that’s an excellent choice for any Yorkshire terrier – and it even features a lovely Yorkie picture on the packaging, too!
This food comes with the usual high-quality ingredients you’d expect from the Hill’s Science Diet brand, and it’s obviously formulated to specifically address the key nutritional requirements of any small breed dog. What’s more, it doesn’t contain any artificial flavorings, preservatives, or colorings.
Additionally, it’s interesting to note that a number of the user reviews highlight how beneficial this formula has been for their Yorkie, especially in regards to their coat health – and even the smell of their breath! Ultimately, Hill’s Science Diet is always a great choice for any dog, and this small breed formula certainly proves to be a solid option for any Yorkie.
# 10 – Orijen Regional Red Dog Food
Orijen makes some of the best quality dog food you’re ever likely to find, and while the price tag isn’t the easiest on your wallet, there’s no denying that it’s a top choice if you’re looking for the best quality food for your beloved pooch.
The blend uses what it calls ‘biologically appropriate’ ingredients, which relies on tasty protein in the form of Angus beef, wild boar, lamb, and more – along with fatty acids which keep your dog’s coat healthy, and antioxidants to provide a well-rounded nutritional profile that hits all of the bases your dog needs.
Additionally, the kibble is suitably sized for most smaller breeds as well, so a Yorkie is unlikely to have any issue with the kibble size. The food is also very tasty for a dog, so it tends to work well with those fussy eaters, too.
Our final pick for adult Yorkies is this breed-specific formula from Eukanuba.
The company is well known for its breed-specific formulas, and while some people may consider the ‘breed-specific’ concept a bit of a gimmick, there’s no denying that the food covers all the key bases that a Yorkie needs.
You’ll find a range of added vitamins and minerals such as zinc, copper, and omega fatty acids which work to keep your dog’s coat healthy and radiant. What’s more, the blend uses quality chicken as its primary ingredient, which is always good news.
The Best Dog Food For Yorkie Puppies
If you’ve recently brought a Yorkie puppy home with you, then it’s a good idea to invest in some quality puppy-specific food that’ll give your puppy the best start in life.
Puppy specific formulas will give your new pooch all of the essential nutrition they need to develop fully and healthy, along with giving them the appropriate number of calories to fuel their growth.
With this in mind, let’s take a closer look at the top puppy food brands that are well suited to Yorkshire Terriers.
Royal Canin has always been one of the top brands in the dog food world, and this Yorkshire Terrier puppy formula doesn’t let the brand down at all.
It features specially designed kibble that’s easy for small Yorkies to eat, and the shape also helps to reduce the formation of plaque and tartar.
Of course, it also features all of the key vitamins and minerals needed to keep a puppy growing healthy and strong, along with the omega fatty acids that’ll help to nourish your dog’s skin and coat.
Importantly, the food has an excellent taste that will keep even the fussiest of eaters entertained, which is always a plus when it comes to certain Yorkshire Terriers!
# 2 – Orijen Puppy Food
Another excellent choice for a Yorkie puppy is this formula from Orijen, and while this particular brand is on the slightly more expensive side, it’s definitely a great pick for those early months of your Yorkie’s life.
It uses biologically appropriate ingredients that give your dog exceptional quality in terms of protein, along with a broad range of crucial vitamins and minerals that are so important during your puppy’s first few months.
Overall, this is a solid puppy brand that offers you a very healthy, high-quality option that’s certainly worth the slightly higher price.
Yorkie Nutrition Tips & Advice
- Sensitive eaters: Yorkshire terriers are known for being sensitive eaters who can be prone to stomach upsets. In general, one of the best things to do in this situation is to moderate your dog’s carbohydrate intake – especially in regards to corn or soy. Additionally, it’s important to feed your dog smaller portions on a frequent basis, rather than providing one large meal each day.
- What’s more, giving your dog some plain yogurt can help to stabilize their digestive system if they’re prone to sickness. But make sure the yogurt contains no artificial additives or sweeteners – as these sweeteners can be very hazardous to your dog’s health. If in doubt, consult your vet first.
- Hypoglycemia: A common health condition that Yorkies may suffer from is hypoglycemia, which causes a rapid drop in blood sugar levels. This condition usually becomes evident in the puppy stage, and it can be triggered due to your dog’s nutrition. Of course, if you’re concerned about your dog’s health, it’s wise to visit a vet rather than trust information on the internet as your primary resource!
- Coat maintenance: You may be interested in learning that Yorkies don’t have a natural undercoat, and instead come with gorgeous, silky coats that are made from individual hairs rather than an underlying coat. Because of this, it’s wise to invest in dog food that contains plenty of fish oils and healthy fats (omega 3 & 6 in particular) which will go a long towards keeping their coat shiny and healthy. If your Yorkie is lacking this crucial nutrition, then their coat may begin to lack the same vibrancy and perhaps even break.
- Picking the right food: Yorkies are best suited to brands of food that are specifically made for small and toy breeds because they have smaller stomachs and smaller mouths that require easily digestible, smaller-sized kibbles. You should also look for a brand that uses a quality source of protein, ideally in excess of 30% or more. Finally, it’s wise to remember that Yorkies are a relatively high energy breed despite their small size, so they need to have enough calories to keep them going.